Top 6 Power BI Advantages for In-House Business Intelligence
How does the internal business intelligence department abandon Excel without abandoning it? Surely, each of you is familiar with the situation when the organization began to conduct internal analytics in Excel because its capabilities were more than enough. But with the growth of the company, tasks become more complicated, data volumes grow, and Excel begins to groan first, and then turns into the reason for the daily waste of the tremendous amount of paid work time. On average, the company preparing and consolidating data through Excel takes about 80% of the employee’s working time, with 79% waiting for the program to respond. That is, the person performed some manipulations, wrote a formula or value, pressed the Enter key and goes to smoke, drink coffee or have lunch: some consolidation and data updating operations take from 40 minutes to 2 hours.
The main problem is the mechanism of data consolidation laid down in ancient times – a bunch of complex cross formulas in which the devil breaks his leg. Once this mechanism was invented by some “guru” Excel, but he did not assume that such a volume of data would be processed. Previously, everything worked without brakes, and files with prescribed formulas were copied from project to project. And when problems began a few years later, no one knew for sure how consolidation works. But it was not possible to find a specialist who could remake it, which is not surprising: developers usually do not learn the Excel formula language and do not use it.
And as a result, you, of course, are not happy that Excel is slowing down, but you don’t want to change the usual operations because of the new tool. The complexity and duration of calculations in Excel leads to the fact that as data volumes increase, it results in the necessity to gradually hire more and more employees to the department, as existing employees ceased to cope with document processing.
Why Choose Power BI for Your Business Intelligence
- Interconnectivity: Microsoft’s solution is better not because this company has developed both Excel and Power BI. And not even because they are well integrated. Power BI allows you to use the entire folder as a data source, into which the user can put different files as he sees fit (including text files). And process them literally with one click. Well, add other sources of information, if necessary (you can add a link to an article about all data sources that can be used for power bi – I wrote it).
- Speed: Power BI and Power Query speed up the work of the Anatomy Department hundreds of times and allow you to bypass the limit on the amount of data that Excel operates. At first, it was 64 thousand lines; now the bill goes to millions. So if you are limited by Excel capabilities, the next logical step could be switching to either Power Pivot or Power BI: they use the same approaches and mechanisms. If you used some formulas in the M language (in Power Query) or DAX in Power Pivot to process the data, then all this will work almost without changes in Power BI. After the introduction of Power BI, according to the most pessimistic estimates, the duration of the calculation phase decreased by 200–300 times (!). And this is already a significant saving. But saving time and money is not the only advantage of this solution.
- Integration: Power BI, as a single integrated product, allows you to combine all those technologies that have been “hung” on Excel for years, like toys on a Christmas tree. Although data cannot be entered into it (almost), A + B cannot be considered, as is done in Excel, but it can be used as a processor for large amounts of data. For example, if you need to perform some calculations on a huge number of columns or rows. Excel can do it too, but in hours, and Power BI in seconds.
- Free bonuses: Also, you can not discount the financial component: Microsoft provides Power Pivot Desktop for free if you want to use this mechanism only to integrate your own Excel files, and you will prepare reports or analyze data alone or as part of a small group.
- Interactivity: At the same time, Power BI files created can be freely moved between computers, like Excel reports. As a result, users get in their hands, not just some calculated, fixed data, Power BI provides ample opportunities for constructing various interactive, instantly recalculated graphs and charts.
- Reporting: With basic tools, they do not allow the entire volume of data to be analyzed – only for each business line or project separately. Excel could not handle such a load. And now, not only cross-sectional analytics on projects will become possible. With the further expansion to Power BI Pro, Power BI RS, or even Power BI Premium, you will have the opportunity to prepare interactive reports for various categories of users, manage levels of access to sensitive data and provide access via web or mobile devices.
Consulting and Customization
Power BI is a marvelous resource for any business. It is an asset that can bring maximum outcome with the right configuration and from appropriate data pulling from all the sources. If you are confused, when weighing whether or whether not to get help from Power BI professionals, you must remember that it is never a bad idea to ask for help. You should have a Power BI Consultant who’s always ready to give a hand, even though Power BI is a very intuitive tool, especially for an experienced Excel user.
FluentPro offers Power BI consulting services as well as turnkey business intelligence solutions based on the Microsoft BI platform.
FluentPro is aiming at providing an average business user with outstanding ease of access. You no longer need to be a full time IT professional to build reporting and analytics tools. Our consulting specialists with vast experience in adoption and customization Microsoft tools for business will help you overcome any challenges on the way to your business goals.
- Individual approach to every company, no matter the size or the industry of your enterprise
- Advanced customization that is tailor-made for your team and it’s needs
- Personal approach to the key people in the organization that want to get started with Power BI.
- Availability of the service from anywhere in the world.
- Deliver training to the key Power BI business users so they can learn the skills needed to be successful.